02 September 2012

Baked Cheesy Portobello Mushrooms

I grabbed some big portobello mushrooms from the supermarket the other day and wanted to do something different instead of the usual stir-frying.

I decided to make stuffed portobello mushrooms. The best thing about this dish is that you probably could stuff almost anything you like to eat - meat, vegetables or both! This is a one versatile dish.

I used:
4 big portobello mushrooms
1 large onion
2 tomatoes
some chopped garlic
a small lime
thyme
butter
cheese





















A large onion proved to be too much as I only had 4 portobellos to stuff. The block of butter was used as my cooking fat to give it that buttery fragrance.



















I fried the garlic till golden and threw in the onions, followed by the tomatoes. I lightly seasoned with salt & pepper together with a tablespoon of balsamic vinegar.

Try to cook on low heat as the ingredients don't have to be fully cooked since you will be placing them into the oven later to bake anyway.

Once done, leave them aside and prepare your portobellos. Wash and remove the stems to make way for the stuffing.

When you're ready to stuff, squeeze your lime over the stuffing and mix well. Place a portion into each portobello and sprinkle some thyme on top like this:


















I then placed them into the oven for about 25 mins at 150°C.

During the last 10 mins of the baking, place small cubes of cheese onto each portobello so that they will melt nicely and sort of form a blanket over the stuffing.



































Like a pro, huh? Hahahaha. Don't ever forget the cheese, it makes everything come together so well! Noticed that only 3 portobellos were left? Lol, I couldn't wait and ate the first one before I remembered to take a picture.

Will probably try this easy dish again with some meat stuffing!

No comments:

Post a Comment